Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Wedding Cake Stress

As some of you know, I have been asked to make the wedding cake for my niece's wedding on the 19th of this month. I was completely shocked to be asked because I only ever make my kids birthday cakes. They are usually 3-D cakes so they might seem good but it isn't hard to please a kid. A wedding cake is an entirely different thing. Fortunately, the bride is flexible and doesn't really want anything fancy. It is going to be a three tiered (but stacked) cake with a 16x16 square bottom, 12x12 square middle and 8x8 square top. I am going to wrap ribbon in her colors around the bottom of each tier and pipe little "pearls" at the bottom edge of the ribbon. I am going to top it off with a fondant bow. She wanted fondant to cover the whole thing but I was nervous about doing that much plus it doesn't taste very good so we are smoothing the frosting to look more like fondant. The pictures below are my first practice. My corners need work and a few other things but not too bad for my first attempt. I will be making another one this week to practice again. I will actually have to do the real thing next week so I better get it right this week.




4 comments:

Lindsay said...

It looks like a good first attempt! I bet your kids enjoyed eating your practice!

I have used a putty knife that's as wide or wider than how tall the cake is (that I bought and washed for the sole purpose of cake decorating!) to smooth the edges of the cake before, and I've found it makes it a little easier to get more squared corners.

Also, for the "pearls"... if you pipe them from a different angle, you can cover up the little "spikes" that come from when you pull away when you pipe the next pearl. Or, you can wet your finger and smooth out the spikes.

Sorry if that didn't make any sense! I'm horrible at describing things in writing. You know that you can always call me or Jen!

Carol Swift said...

I've made a few wedding cakes so I know the stress you're feeling. The cake looks pretty good for a first attempt!

garrynkim said...

It looks great for your first try. I thought it was fondant until I blew up the picture. Simple, but beautiful.

Ashley said...

Looks great to me - I'm just excited to see you in a few days!